Guests Amenities and Electrical Safety

From a conversation on the old forum:

Most innkeepers want their guests to be comfortable. To this end, we place televisions, DVD players, lamps, and alarm clocks in guest bedrooms. Buildings without central air may include window mounted air-condition units from late spring through fall as well as electric heaters in the winter. Some facilities may even provide their guests small cubic refrigerators.

All of these items have one thing in common.
They all need electricity!

If you have an older home like mine with a limited number of electrical sockets, avoid the temptation of using extention cords and plugging everything into a single electric strip. Even though it may seem more epensive to have a licensed electrician add additional sockets to your guest rooms, this could be a safety measure that reduces the possibility of fire at your facility.

As a volunteer fire fighter, I am sorry to say that I have seen several house fires that were sparked by overloaded electric strips.

Here are some basic tips regarding electrical safety.

1) Replace damaged or frayed electric cords. Do not put electric cords under carpets or rugs.

2) Extension cords were actually designed for temporary use. Prolonged use of an extension cord can result in overheating – especially if you are using an air-condition or refrigerator.

3) Electric strips that have been overloaded are a fire hazard.

4) Unplug appliances that are not in use. When you unplug an appliance, remove the plug by its socket. Do not pull the electrical wire.

5) Have Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCIs) installed by licensed electricians in the main electrical panel to reduce the risk of electric shock.