What is a B&B Broker?

From “Ask Kit!”:

Q: I’m not familiar with an Inn Broker. Could you please provide more information on this type of support?

A: An Inn Broker is a real estate agent who specializes in B&B sales. I’m not talking about an agent who lists or sells the occasional bed and breakfast. I’m talking about an agent who gets involved with the B&B industry by attending the various conferences that happen around the country, who have taken a class or two about becoming a B&B innkeeper, and an agent who is or has been an innkeeper. They have the depth of knowledge and experience to guide you through the maze of details involved in finding and buying a B&B.

2 thoughts on “What is a B&B Broker?”

  1. A B&B we’re researching is being handled by a broker that is out of state from us, as is the B&B. Are there “sellers” brokers and “buyers” brokers like there are for residential home realtors? Do we have to work with the broker the seller is using or can we find our own that might have our interests more to heart?

  2. I believe all states have the Buyers Broker option now. And yes, that’s available to commercial and residential real estate.
    In most cases you are well advised to work with your own agent, rather than the Seller’s agent. I say most cases because there are a few B&B Brokers I think are good enough to work both sides and be fair to both sides.
    Use your instincts about which route you go, and don’t hesitate to double check your instincts by asking around town.
    Before I was a B&B Broker I urged buyers and sellers to have their own agents and pushed buyer agency for everyone. I still think it’s a good idea.

Comments are closed.